Saturday, January 13, 2007

Out of the box work

Most of us might have come up with out of the box thought, but what about out of the box work.

I still remember one of the teachers asking our 4th standard class what they want to be....I wanted to be fighter jet pilot then, some wanted to become businessmen, some scientists, some wanted to be in merchants navy, some wanted to join army, some wanted to be farmers, some wanted to be artists.....everyone came up with some different answer. But now each of us is either an engineer or doctor. Why ?

We all have heard of out of the box thinking....your professor in college will want you to think out of the box, your boss will always want you to give out of the box thoughtful answers. But no want us to work out of the box. Why ?

May be because we dont know what to do and we all follow the crowd, may be because we dont have the courage to do something different even if we want to, may be we have different priorities, priorities that dictates what we do and what we want to do. May be all of them. But the bottomline is that is it really required to work out of the box, why to work out of the box, would it be any better, would it serve any more puporses. Frankly we dont know, unless we work out of the box or come across people who have worked out of the box.

I thought of this topic after I came across couple of guys who have worked out of the box.

Yesterday I went for a hair cut. In Taiwan most of the people dont speak english but there was this guy who spoke pretty good english and he communicated to his beautiful colleague, how I wanted my hair cut. I was wondering how come this guy speak such a good english, Taiwan does not have english medium schools or universities, all sorts of communication everywhere is in Mandarin. But this guys knows english...this made me talk to him after my hair cut and I came to know that this guy had done his four years of engineering from Australia in Information System. He told that he didnt like working with computers and enjoyed what he is doing more than a IT job. From IT to entrepreneur that too with no work ex. I was really impressed with this guy.

Before that I went to a restaurant and again I met a girl who spoke english quite well. She told that she used to work with a trading company and had a good job. But she wanted to open her own business with her family members and she enjoys what she is doing now more than what she used to do. I was again impressed.

May be Taiwan has many more such talented people and may be that is the reason why Taiwan is amongst few developed asian country.

India definitely needs people who can work out of the box. I guess for our growth and deveopment it is not enough to have employed engineers, doctors, bankers, consultants......we need engineers, doctors, bankers, consultants, businessment who can generate employment, and more importantly those who can work out of the BOX.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blogs man...very simple but quite meaningful..very mild like everything in asia pacific

Prakash M Kini said...

Well said Sameer.

Jayant said...

Well said, but then again... u gotta define box. If India with its per capita income can generate the second highest number of engineers, I would say that those engineers had to think out of the box just to be engineers. Out of the box, for most Indians would be to not to worry about the next month bills and their kids education, and we are just getting there.

Sameer Mathur said...

Yes I agree Jayant, India has gone a long way .... we have excellent engineers like you who can really make a difference, and specially in India. You know I talked to Stephen Demoore and I was surprised that even one of the most talented personality in US is having hard time finding a job, so what I mean is that he has much more potential than what he would utilize at any company.

QueenaWang said...

Why most talented personality guy in US has hard time to find a job? I think because of reverse discrimination. It should be protect black and women. Maybe the equality is created, that is not a real equality.

Sameer Mathur said...

I am not sure about that. But what I think at times talented people have hard time finding a job because most of the time they are over qualified, ie they have more potential than a company can utilize. In such case both company and the job seeker both knows that it might end up being a mismatch.